About the Best Development Awards Program
We are now accepting nominations for the 2013 Best Development Awards! The Best Development Awards program recognizes quality development and redevelopment projects in Iowa and leadership that upholds our mission. The nomination process is user friendly, and is a great opportunity to reward cities, companies, and individuals implementing 1000 Friends’ ideals to make Iowa a better state. The deadline to submit nominationsis Friday, August 30, 2013.Best Development Awards are given in seven categories:
To submit a nomination in any of the above categories, download the nomination form here and mail or email the information to 1000 Friends of Iowa, 3850 Merle Hay Road, Suite 605, Des Moines, IA 50310 or
The following is a brief overview of what to include:
- New Residential
- Renovated Residential
- Renovated Commercial/Civic
- New Commercial/Civic
- Mixed Use
- Storm Water Management
- Name of the development
- Owner and/or architect
- Contact information for you and a representative of the project, and
- Brief summary of how the project meets the mission of 1000 Friends of Iowa and the Smart Growth criteria (listed below) If available, pictures are encouraged as they truly are worth a thousand words.
Best Development Award Criteria
Projects will be reviewed and awards granted based upon the project fulfilling the objectives of Smart Growth as defined below. You may also read the Principles of Smart Growth by clicking here.
Smart growth is the efficient use of our resources to develop sustainable communities that provide a high quality of life.
Smart growth efficiently utilizes our tax dollars and private investments through. . .
- Reinvesting in existing communities that have experienced decline. This includes rehabilitation and reuse of older buildings and in-fill development.
- Focusing new development around walkable, mixed-use town centers with a balance of housing and jobs.
- Coordinating the provision of utilities and public services amongst local jurisdictions in a metropolitan region.
Smart growth is sustainable because it. . .
- Distributes affordable housing throughout the region to improve access to employment opportunities and avoid concentrations of poverty.
- Utilizes green building practices to conserve energy.
- Attracts new business and industry, which increasingly consider quality of life factors when selecting communities in which to locate or expand.
- Balances urban expansion with the protection of agricultural land and natural areas.
- Empowers citizens to take responsibility for their community and become actively involved in the planning process.
- Recognizes the interdependence of the social, natural and built environments.
- Considers the impact of development on future generations.
Smart growth provides a high quality of life by . . .
- Creating a framework to build community and establish a sense of place.
- Providing walkable, mixed-use community centers that include civic, commercial and residential uses.
- Offering residents a variety of choices in housing options and transportation modes.
- Establishing urban green spaces and protecting environmentally sensitive areas from inappropriate development.
- Engaging residents in a more active, healthy lifestyle.
- Reducing health threats from air and water pollution.
Recipients receive a plaque, publicity during the announcement of winners, and recognition in 1000 Friends of Iowa's education materials and website.
For information on recipients of the 2012 Best Development Awards click here .
For information on recipients of the 2011 Best Development Awards click here.
For information on recipients of the 2010 Best Development Awards click here.
For information on recipients of the 2009 Best Development Awards click here.
For information on recipients of the 2008 Best Development Awards click here.
For information on recipients of the 2007 Best Development Awards click here.
For information on recipients of the 2006 Best Development Awards click here.
For information on recipients of the 2005 Best Development Awards click here.